You’re studying like crazy because the exam window is open! Yes, many of you have registered to take the PHR or SPHR, and most likely will wait until January to take it. But before you go to your exam site, be sure to do the following:
1. Take online practice tests to help you with multiple choice tests. You can take the HRReview online practice test by clicking on the link or on the picture above. If you haven’t taken a college entrance exam lately, it would be a good idea to regain the knack of how to select from 4 choices, oftentimes when more that one answer can be correct.
2. Be prepared exam day with a valid drivers license, taking minimal items to the test site. Just last year, I had a student show up to take the PHR, only to find her drivers license had expired. Needless to say, she had to get an updated license prior to be admitted to the test site. A delay you may not be able to afford!
3. Be sure to get a good nights rest the evening before the exam. This is an athletic feat – taking the PHR, SPHR or GPHR – so treat it like an athletic event! Eat those carbs, get some good exercise and most importantly rest well. You’ll have a short 4 hours to demonstrate expertise – so be on top of your game!
4. Take 15 minutes before the exam as quiet, meditation time. How many days do we run from one thing to the next, barely focusing on what’s next or what we just did? Get to the exam site early, “get in the zone” and you’ll have your mind ready to conquer the questions!
5. Once taking the test, resist the temptation to question yourself and change answers. Many times your first instinct is your best. You’ll have the opportunity to flag answers you’re not sure about, but resist the temptation to go back and review all of them, as many times it will be a mistake to make changes. Trust yourself, and only review/change answers where you were completely stumped.
Practice these 5 tips and you’ll be better prepared to pass the PHR, SPHR or GPHR exam! Good luck!
Amy Letke, SPHR – Co-Founder
Check Out Our Online PHR and SPHR Practice Exams. You’ll Get Instant Access to a 125 Question PHR or SPHR Exam Simulation That You Can Take Anytime, Day or Night.